background black and white

Thursday, August 23, 2012

CURTAIN REVEAL & DECISION

Good MORNING :)

I needed a curtain for my kitchen window that is why this all started!  We had some very nice neighbors move in next door, and my kitchen window is facing their back patio.  The old neighbors never used the back yard, but the new neighbors have their patio all prettied up and love to use it.  My kind of folks. 

The only issue for me was every time I went to the sink to do something I was looking at them and they were looking at me.  We both thought that anyway!  Awkward!!

So the hunt began for fabric.  After a long time of looking I finally found some with the colors I liked.  Bought it, came home with it, and struggled with it.  I really do know how to sew because my Mama taught me, but this fabric was too heavy, thick, and would not keep its' shape.  Anyway BLAA BLAA BLAA.....

My beautiful fabric and its' COLOR, and fun trim :)

Below is the before picture of both kitchen windows.  I had made the curtains for the larger window a long time ago, also had one just like it for the sink window.  WAS TIRED OF THEM.

























With prayer from my FB friends, and MY MANY prayers, here is how it went.

This is my old trusted friend "Kenmore" that my handsome hubby bought me many years ago when I was a young wife and mother.  I would make dresses for the girls and I for church on this old gal.  She still works fine :)






































First the "sink" window curtain all finished.  I made it this strange design, because I wanted as much sunlight to come in as possible.  I left it open at the top and bottom.  Reminded me of a cafe curtain.  I didn't want the fabric to hang down to the window seal because of my "little treasures" that I have sitting there from my mama.  Also the fabric might get dirty from water splashes from the sink.






Do you like it?  I thought it turned out pretty good since I never lined a curtain before, or added trim to one. 

Now for the "Struggle for Me."  The double window by the dining table.
This pictures is after the top, side seams, lining, and trim have been completed.

I wanted to make a balloon type of curtain for this window.  Something that would take a little more effort and hopefully look pretty.  I had seen one hanging in the fabric store and really liked it.

The saleswomen at the fabric store told me I would have to use a gathering tape on the backside to make the gathers.  She said it was easy and would look nice with the fabric.

"THEN THE WARNING"

She said, to use this gathering tape, you must never sew on the strings or it won't gather up.  Just sew on the VERY EDGE of each side of the tape.    ok I said...................




After sweating bullets and twisting my hands together over and over, praying, and alot of coffee,  I did it, I did it and it worked.  :)


Blinds open
What do you think?  Is it too long?  Should it be shorter and cover less window.  Is it all right?  My family likes it this way, but I am thinking I should cut the top off and redo it shorter.  Like this pic below of a piece of fabric bunched up with clothes pins up higher?????????

What do you think?  Short or Long? Decisions, decisions!!!!  Let me know people, let me know.  Here is the finished product again.


One day when I get the walls finished with a coat of paint and the back splash put up, I will show you the whole kitchen.  :)

Don't be afraid to try making something new,  just TRY :)

I hope you all have a blessed day.  Thank you for following me to the end of this project's post.

Lynn

2 comments:

Robin Rexroad said...

Great job Lynn! Beautiful! I like your table one either way. If you make it shorter you lose the fabric design. It's up to you!

Lynn Crawford said...


Thank you Robin for commenting and letting me know which way you like it best. I think I agree with you and the other folks that have told me "long." Have a great day my friend. :)

Lynn